Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Grief/Loss and Soft Green and Yellow

We are continuing on in our PRIDE classes. Last nights topic was grief and loss. I have to say, it was kind of a tough topic for me. It really hit home in many areas. I can see where this has affected my step-children and our China kiddos. I can see the areas in my own life. It also brought up issues for the foster kids...some of which should seem obvious, but weren't at least in my mind. For instance, birth order. A child could go from being the oldest in his/her home to being the youngest in the foster home. A child in their birth home knows where to sit in the living room or at the table...but where do you sit in the foster home? What if you as a foster child are taken out of the home in the middle of the night and they forget your purple blanket and you NEED your purple blanket to sleep and to comfort you? Loss.

Interesting. Our homework for last night was to make our own grief and loss chart. Which was super depressing, but also interesting to reflect on.

On another not so depressing note...I chatted with a gal who has been fostering for about a year. She gave me some good tips on things to have on hand, prior to foster babies showing up. I hit up our local thrift store and scored on 50% off day. I bought up a lot of basic stuff 0-6 months...mostly in soft green and yellow....though I have to admit, that little pink stuff is a lot more appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment